Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Let’s Talk About Books, Baby!

Let’s Talk About Books, Baby!
I’ve just spent the past six hours on the internet, reading as much book gossip as I possibly can.  I’ve got a ton of book news to talk about, and hopefully, so do you.  First and foremost, Miep Gies, the woman who hide my beloved Anne Frank for two years, has died at age 100.  May she [...]

I’ve just spent the past six hours on the internet, reading as much book gossip as I possibly can.  I’ve got a ton of book news to talk about, and hopefully, so do you. 

First and foremost, Miep Gies, the woman who hide my beloved Anne Frank for two years, has died at age 100.  May she and Anne have a wonderful reunion tonight.  The L.A. Times has written a great article about it, and I want to thank Sandra for sending all of us the link.  Please, read the article here

Today (January 13th) Elizabeth Gilbert will be on Oprah to promote her new novel Committed.  I haven’t read it yet, but I hope to soon.  Ms. Gilbert previous novel is the wildly successful Eat, Pray, Love, and Julia Roberts is currently filming and playing Ms. Gilbert in the film adaptation of this book.  Click on Ms. Gilbert’s name to visit her website.

I found out today that Absinthe has been recently made legal in the US.  I’m shocked that Absinthe supposedly makes you hallucinate, on top of getting you drunk.  Ewan McGregor’s character in Moulin Rouge saw the famous Green Fairy while drinking it during that crazy scene.

I’ve wanted to taste it ever since reading about it in high school.  Some of you may know what it is already, have you ever tried it?  I have to get a copy of this book The Little Green Book of Absinthe by Paul Owens.  It has a cocktail guide, which is good, since I have no idea what goes well with Absinthe.  I found this interesting video about the history of Absinthe if you have never heard of it.

 

I’m curious what people are reading these days.  Every since joining Goodreads, reading has come back into my life very strongly.  I think I managed to read over 50 books in 2009, up from 28 in 2008.  Goodreads let’s me make lists of what books I’ve read, or want to read, which is great, because I forget what I want to read when I step into a library or bookstore.  Goodreads.com is part social networking, part book nerds haven.  Plus, you can get free books!  Currently, I am reading the following books:

 

 

Genre Screenwriting: How to Write Popular Screenplays That Sell

my rating: didn't like itit was okliked itreally liked itit was amazing //

To follow me or friend request me on Goodreads click here or visit http://www.goodreads.com/nerdgirlbloggerMy Girl from the Ghetto name sadly scares off a few folks.  What are you reading, recently read, or plan to read in the future?  I may not always mention what I’m reading, but I always update my status on Goodreads.
This is one of the many books that I want to read - I Don’t Care About Your Band by Julie Klausner.  It seems to be one of the more funnier ones.  I’m a sucker for novels that make you laugh.
 
 
Chelsea Handler has a new book coming out, and she is also going on tour for it.  The book is Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang and she will be in Detroit on April 2 and tickets for that event go on sale January 15th.  I want to go, anybody in?  Find out all of her tour dates here.
 
 
 
MY HARDCOVER & PAPERBACK WISH LIST: 
Noah’s Compass by Anne Tyler
The Farm by Haven Kimmel (Actually, she has three books coming out, Quaker Outlaw & a book of poetry and I want them all!)
The Help by Kathryn Stockett - My wish has been granted as I just checked my email.  Thank you!
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk
Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby
I Am Ozzy by Ozzy Osbourne
Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert
Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier
The Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo
I’m Sorry You Feel That Way: The Astonishing But True Story of a Daughter, Sister, Slut, Wife, Mother and Friend to Man and Dog by Dianna Joseph
The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell
Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner
The Melting Season by Jami Attenberg
This Is Not the Story You Think It Is: A Season of Unlikely Happiness by Laura Munson
The Dome by Stephen King
The Swain Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova
 
If you could read any recent books, what would they be?  I know I’m forgetting at least ten other books, but what can I say?  It is 5:30 am, I am tired and my brain in getting all mushy.  Help me by telling me what else I should put on here, or what you would put on your own 2010 book list.
 

I am doing several book reviews for this blog within the next month.  Since I can read a book a day and I’m recently unemployed, I hope to squeeze in a few more because even with three volunteer jobs I have too much time on my hands.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

Government Girl by Stacy Parker Aab.  I’m thrilled to have spoken with her via email, because it turns out we both grew up in the same ghetto, and she made it as far as The White House.  This gives me hope!

The Cougar Club by Susan McBride.  She is so awesome, we both love cats, and I loved her latest book.  She even sent me two more of her books as Christmas gifts – The Debs and The Debs Love, Lies and Texas Dips.  Susan and I had discussed a possible book giveaway for readers in my Ghetto Girl’s book club, which took the month of December off.  I’ll keep you posted.

This leads to my next question – are you readers still interested in me doing an online book club?  I’m dropping my simultaneous in-home book club, since, and I quote “you live way too far away from everyone and your house is too small” [both true] and because another one of my friends has started her own book club.  If you all are still interested, then I really want us to read The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank for our January selection.  After reading the Definitive Edition, which is a lot more controversial than the book most of us read in school, I don’t think there is a person here who wouldn’t enjoy it.  I’ll have the discussion on 1/31/10.  Please let me know if you are interested.  You can buy the book here.   

Posted in 2010, Absinthe, Anne Frank, book blogs, Book Club, book reviews, books, bookworms, Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang, Chelsea Handler, Detroit, Detroit bloggers, goodreads.com, Haven Kimmel, Michigan, Moulin Rouge, Must reads of 2010, novels, pop culture, reading, Susan McBride Tagged: Anne Tyler, book chatter, book news, Breaking news, celebrities, entertainment, Kathryn Stockett, life, news, personal, Stacy Parker Aab, Susan McBride, THOUGHTS

Source: thegirlfromtheghetto.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment